Friday, November 28, 2008

Army Beats Navy, Wins the Commander’s-In-Chief Trophy for Fifth Year in a Row

There’s only one Army-Navy Competition that I’ve competed in personally; the Army-Navy Chess Tournament. And since I don’t feel like bragging about the recent football score, I thought I’d take this opportunity to brag about my favorite Army Team.

I’m proud to say that the West Point Chess Team has continued a winning tradition, having bested the Naval Academy (as well as each of the other services) every year since I led the team in ’02. For the last two years, they’ve also taken the top spot--as a team and individually-- at the Armed Forces Open Championships.


The West Point Chess Team at the Armed Forces Chess Tournament, October 10th 2005, Fort Meade, Maryland

Navy may trounce us in Swimming each year, thanks in no small part to the efforts of a couple of friends of mine; Noah White and Joel Oviedo. However, the Black Knights' title as reigning Chess Champs remains quite secure. And while it may be true that Army has been bested four years in a row on the gridiron, I'm pleased to recollect that we bested our archrivals each of my four years on the Chess Team.


Army Team Captain v. Navy Team Captain (Richard Morrsey) in the final round of the 2003 Army-Navy Chess Tournament


Pictured: Josh Conary (Black Knight), Marcus Warner, David Eastman, Benjamin Griffin, and Micah Smith---Getting ready for the talent competition (70’s theme) at the 2003 National Team Chess Championships in Parsippany, New Jersey.

For more West Point Chess Team photos you can visit this page on the West Point Website.

No comments:

Post a Comment